Monday, March 26, 2012

ODBC datasource / dataset problem

Hi,
I'm using the Visual Studio designer to create my RS reports. When I
add a new project to the solution, the new project wizard allows me to
choose ODBC as the datasource type I want to use. However, I amn't
given the ODBC option when I try to add a datasource to an existing
project. I work around this by copying and manually editing the ODBC
.rds file that was created by the new project wizard. Does anyone know
"the right way" to add an ODBC datasource to a project without using
the project wizard? I'm a bit concerned about my workaround because I
now have multiple .rds files in the same project with the same
<DataSourceID>.
Also, I don't know if this problem is caused by my workaround, but when
I use the "hacked" .rds file as a report's datasource and open the
"Data" tab I see the message:
"The query could not be loaded. Verify your connection string and query
string"
The report still runs fine, and if I open the "Generic Query Designer"
(in the "Data" tab), the query appears, and returns results if I click
the "!" button.
Thanks in advance,
DonRight click on shared data sources, add new data source. When the data link
properties box comes up it is on the connection tab, click on the Provider
tab where you can now pick ODBC.
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"Don" <donalmurtagh@.yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1127296726.880744.15570@.g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
> I'm using the Visual Studio designer to create my RS reports. When I
> add a new project to the solution, the new project wizard allows me to
> choose ODBC as the datasource type I want to use. However, I amn't
> given the ODBC option when I try to add a datasource to an existing
> project. I work around this by copying and manually editing the ODBC
> .rds file that was created by the new project wizard. Does anyone know
> "the right way" to add an ODBC datasource to a project without using
> the project wizard? I'm a bit concerned about my workaround because I
> now have multiple .rds files in the same project with the same
> <DataSourceID>.
>
> Also, I don't know if this problem is caused by my workaround, but when
> I use the "hacked" .rds file as a report's datasource and open the
> "Data" tab I see the message:
> "The query could not be loaded. Verify your connection string and query
> string"
> The report still runs fine, and if I open the "Generic Query Designer"
> (in the "Data" tab), the query appears, and returns results if I click
> the "!" button.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Don
>

No comments:

Post a Comment