Friday, March 30, 2012

ODBC DSN on Cluster Server

Is MDAC cluster-aware?

I have an active/passive MS Cluster server.

ODBC DSN changes on the virtual cluster server are not propagated to the passive node.

How do I configure ODBC DSN such that they are propagated to both nodes in an active/passive cluster?

tia

Please note that MDAC is client driver while virtual cluster server is the server. Your ODBC DSN configuration is for the client, not for the server. The DSN will be used by the client to collect server information. So, what you need to do is to configure DSN in all client machines and the server name in the DSN shoule be the name of the SQL Server Virtual Server.

Or in short, MDAC itself is not cluster-aware.

|||

For clarification,

these ODBC DSNs I am referring to, are created on the SQL Server machine. They are used for Linked Servers within SQL Server.

So, my question is, since ODBC DSNs cannot be specified as Cluster resources how do I ensure that all DSN changes are effected on both active/passive nodes in the cluster?

|||As I said, you have to create same DSNs on both active/passive nodes.sql

No comments:

Post a Comment