Wednesday, March 28, 2012

ODBC Driver for SQLServer Everywhere/Compact from Access

So far I've been unable to connect to a test SQLServer Everywhere/Compact database with MS Access. I installed the new SQLServer 2005 Native Client to no avail. Has anyone done this?

If you are trying to sync the data between Access and the SQLServer Compact edition, you might need to download the synchronizer. The following link should provide you a quick overview and the access to the software. If this is not what you intended to do, please provide more details on what you are trying to accomplish:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=B967347A-5DD0-445C-8A9F-AEA3DB9EC4BC&displaylang=en

Regards,

Riyaz

|||

In Access, I'm simply trying to link to a SQLServer CE database using an ODBC driver, as you can do with other SQLServer servers. I've been the route you suggested, hoping that in the process I'd discover the driver I need. But to install that synchronizer, I have to install IIS and SQLServer 2005, which goes beyond what I'm trying to do. And I'm not interested in syncronizing to a mobile device in any case.

I was hoping to use SQLServer CE as a substitute for the normal Access Jet engine, to take advantage of encryption and security that Access does not provide (or does poorly). I want to deploy a single-user Access application with an easily deployable secure database. I'm doing it now with just Access, but I'd like to make the data tables inaccessible except through my application.

Thanks for the suggestion.

|||You can only connect to an instance of a SQL Server 2005 Mobile Edition database when it is running on a Windows CE-based OS or Tablet PC (you can create a SQL Server 2005 Mobile database in Visual Studio and, I believe, SQL Server Management Studio as part of the development process). When SQL Server Everywhere becomes available, it should, as you've surmised, fit your needs. In the meantime, you can check out the development experience using SQL Mobile today...take a look at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvs05/html/sqleverywhere.asp?frame=true for some additional info. If you'd like to have a runtime prototype of your app, however, you'll want to try using SQL Server 2005 Express.|||

I do have SQL Server 2005 Everywhere installed, (SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition), and I've created a database from VS 2005 (after installing VS 2005 SP1 Beta) and so far have not been able to connect to that database from Access. There is a .dll distributed with Everywhere: sqlceoledb30.dll that has a description "OLEDB Provider" that I am hoping will work, but it is not installed as an ODBC driver.

It seems impossible that I'm the first to attempt this. Any help will be appreciated.

Office 2003 SP2, Win XP SP2, VS 2005 SP1 Beta

Thanks

|||

The naming is a little tricky here...SQL Server 2005 Mobile Edition is the 3.0 version of the product formerly referred to as SQL Server Compact Edition (or SQL CE). The product formerly referred to as SQL Server Everywhere now appears to have the moniker of SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition...this version is the only one in this family that can be used on the desktop. A CTP version of this product was released in late August and the RC1 version is now available at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=85E0C3CE-3FA1-453A-8CE9-AF6CA20946C3&displaylang=en

Given all of this, which version do you have? The RC1 file version appears to be 3.1 (the device only SQL Server 2005 Mobile Edition would be v3.0, I believe).

If you have the correct version but continue to have problems connecting, I'll move this thread into the SQL Server Compact Edition forum.

|||

If you read the last post I made, it's pretty clear that I have Compact Edition 3.1 RC1 Beta. I haven't ever installed the Mobile Edition. After installing CE, most references (like the installation directory) reflect the previous name (Everywhere).

I really want to link to a Compact Edition database through ODBC (as it happens, in Access). I can connect to it fine in VS 2005 VB.NET, so I don't think it's a lack of understanding.

Thanks, any help will be appreciated.

|||Thanks for claryifying the specific version that you have installed. Someone here in the SQL Server Compact Edition forum should be able to help you with the nuances of connecting to a local SQL Server CE database.|||

Although SQL CE 3.1 does expose an OLE DB provider, you cannot link to it via the regular ODBC link in Access. I have developed a set of tools that will help you with both converting to and from Access and also to edit the SDF on the desktop. These tools use the OLE DB provider at the low level and work with databases on the PC and on the device. You can try them here: http://www.primeworks-mobile.com

No comments:

Post a Comment